Bullying in Indiana
Sponsored by Children's Coalition of Indiana & Indiana State Bar
Thursday, July 26, 2012
9:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
The Villages (Training Room)
3833 N. Meridian St. | Indianapolis
Click here for the program flier.
Register by July 20 at http://tinyurl.com/738mrn4
For more information, contact Leslie Hankins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317.803.3134.
Moderator for all Panels – Brandie Oliver, Butler University
9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
PANEL 1. Bullying & Cyberbullying
Panelists will provide an overview of current law pertaining to bullying and cyberbullying as well as problems with enforcing the law. Discussion will include issues with protective orders in schools and academic research about bullying from a psychological perspective.
• Joel Hand, Attorney
• Anita Carpenter, CEO, Indiana Coalition Against Sexual Assault
• Dr. David Estell, Associate Professor, Indiana University
10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
PANEL 2. Developing School Discipline Policies to Address Bullying
This panel will discuss the balancing act required between different interests such as: protecting students from bullying, preserving the Constitutional right to free speech, and promoting access to education.
• David J. Emmert, General Counsel, Indiana School Board Association
• Gavin Rose, Attorney, ACLU-IN
• Seamus Boyce, Partner, Church Church Hittle & Antrim
11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Lunch (box lunch provided)
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
PANEL 3. Best Practices
Where do we go from here? What can be done legislatively to address these issues?
Should change be mandated or promoted administratively?
• Rep. Eric Koch
• Rep. Greg Porter (Invited)
• Marilyn Leatherman, Washington Township School Principal (Retired)
• Dee Kempson, School Social Work Consultant, Indiana Department of Education